No homestead can be imagined without pinnules of pinnate carrot leaves over beds. This is one of the most popular root crops. But even experienced gardeners sometimes can not get a crop of even large carrots, the cultivation and care of which, it would seem, have long been mastered. What are the causes of failure, and how to grow good carrots?
Selecting a site for carrots
How to grow carrots in the open ground? A popular root crop requires attention not only when growing, care for the crop begins with the selection of the site. Carrots, like all root crops, are very demanding to the conditions, in particular to the site on which the beds are broken.
If, in the fall, ugly, underdeveloped, branched or burst root crops appear from the soil, there may be several reasons:
- introduction of fertilizers containing chlorine under crops;
- spring soil deoxidation;
- poor digging beds, as well as left in the soil lumps, stones and large organic residues;
- lack of lighting;
- excessively dry soil or excessive watering of carrots;
- excess nitrogen fertilizers;
- rough uneven weeding or thickening plantings.
And many factors negatively affect the appearance of root crops, and their taste. Therefore, the site for carrots is selected especially carefully. To get quality carrots, and planting and caring for her were not in vain:
- the soil should be light, loose and fertile;
- landing should not lack in light;
- preparation for sowing begins in the autumn.
Preparing the soil for carrots
Before the onset of cold weather, the soil is thoroughly digged, roots and stones are removed. If necessary, make dolomite flour, lime, a complex of potassium and phosphorus fertilizers. In spring, the area under the carrots once again fertilize and deep loosen.
Often gardeners, sharing experiences on how to grow carrots outdoors, are advised to pay attention to crop rotation. Well, if before the carrots in the garden rose courgettes or pumpkins, beans, onions, potatoes or other nightshade. If in the previous season carrots, parsley or celery grew on the site, then this year the yield may decrease, and the crops undergo carrot diseases or pest infestation. Return the planting of carrots to their original place can only four years.
Dates of planting carrots
No less important than the choice of a landing site, and have the timing of sowing. Wishing, as soon as possible to grow good carrots, summer residents try to use the frost resistance of the plant:
- Seeds begin to germinate at + 3 ° C.
- To frosts, frosts up to -2 ° C are not terrible.
- Well-developed plants carry frost to -4 ° C.
- The optimum temperature regime is the range from 18-24 ° C.
- At temperatures above +25 ° C, the vegetation of the carrot slows down.
And although recurrent colds have a negative effect on the shelf life of root vegetables, this does not prevent garden farmers from leading, if climate, pre-winter or spring crops allow carrots to produce early crops. For such crops, early ripen carrots are chosen.
Planting and care of root vegetables intended for storage is carried out after setting a daily temperature of about 15 ° C.
Carrot planting and grooming
Only high-quality seeds can be given a plentiful harvest, carefully sorted and disinfected. And to facilitate sowing, experienced summer residents offer several simple tricks.
- in equal parts mixed with washed dry sand;
- add to the seeds of rapidly emerging crops, such as salad or radish, so that early planting and first weeding can be observed;
- mixed with flour or starch paste, which is poured into the prepared grooves;
- paste on narrow paper tapes.
These measures, as well as drained seeds, make it easier to plant carrots, grow and care for the plantation, because thinning and weeding are less burdensome.
Prior to planting, the beds are loosened to the depth of the bayonet, leveled and, 25 cm from each other, moistened furrows are prepared at a depth of 2 cm. When carrots are sown, furrows are closed with a mixture of sand with peat or loose soil, and planting, not watering, cover with a film.
- will not allow to evaporate the necessary seeds of moisture;
- prevent the attack on shoots of dangerous carrot pests;
- will not allow the crust to form on the surface of the soil;
- will increase, which is important for early sowing, soil temperature and accelerate germination.
The film is removed only after emergence of shoots of carrots, the cultivation and care of which now involves the regular loosening of the soil, watering and weeding the beds.
Answering the question: “How to grow carrots in the open field?”, Specialists necessarily stop on the need to thin the shoots. But gardeners, sometimes, it’s so hard to part with only the leaves that spread the leaves. As a result, the amount of carrots grown is large, but its quality is not at all unpleasant for summer residents.
To get a good harvest, it is necessary to break the shoots in time:
- When the first pair of real leaves is opened on the shoots, the carrots are first thinned, leaving a gap of 3 cm.
- When two pairs of leaves again remove excess shoots, leveling the formed holes.
Thinning is carried out after watering in the evening, so that the sun does not damage the injured sprouts, and the smell of greens does not attract pest carrots. Remove the plants carefully, not loosening in the ground.
A disturbance for the growth of good carrots can be a crust on the surface of the bed, it is regularly destroyed after watering, gently loosening the soil, or the soil of mulch from peat is covered. To the top of the growing up and protruding above the soil level of the root crops is not green, carrots from time to time hills.
Watering and top dressing of carrots
Duration of vegetation in carrots is 4-5 months. In the first half of the period the plant grows a lot of greenery, demanding abundant watering, and then the growth of root crops, which reacts negatively to waterlogging, begins.
- One square meter of young plants requires up to 4 liters of water three times a week.
- As the carrots grow, until the middle of the vegetation period, watering is increased.
- Two months later, carrots are watered once a week, using 8-10 liters per square meter.
Thinking about how to grow a good carrot, we must not forget about the protection of plants from pests. Also important is the prevention of carrot diseases, which can seriously affect the quality of the crop and its preservation.
Complex carrots are applied twice. The first is held a month after the appearance of sprouts, and the second two months later.