After the cherries are ripened in the garden, not only people but also feathered gourmets are watching impatiently. How to protect the cherry from the birds, to protect the harvest and health of trees on private plots? These questions are of concern to many summer residents and owners of rural farmsteads.
Cultural planting of fruit and berry plants for many, especially schooling birds in the warm season become a favorite feeder. However, the visits of birds are not always fun. It’s great when a pack helps to cope with insect pests. And quite another thing – the birds, eager to profit garden strawberries, irrigated, honeysuckle and, of course, cherries.
Feathered enemies of the sweet cherry: who are they and how dangerous?
Most often on the fruit trees and shrubs “graze” sparrows and tits, waxed and jays. Maturing earlier than other stone fruit cherries very much attracts starlings.
What is the damage done by the birds, and how to protect the cherry from the birds, whether they are starlings or other of their winged relatives? In addition, that a flock in a matter of hours virtually cleans the branches of ripe berries, birds:
- break the young growth and bouquet news, on which the harvest of the next year should appear;
- leave damaged fruits that attract insects and disease-causing fungi.
The larger the bird and the larger the flock, the greater the damage. But birds are not a natural disaster! Even with small expenses or at home means, it is possible to provide excellent protection of cherries from birds.
Measures aimed at saving the crop fall into two categories. Some methods protect the entire tree and prevent birds from getting close to cherished berries. Other activities are designed to scare away winged gourmets.
How to scare away birds from a sweet cherry?
Birds in the pack behave much bolder than loners. Yet none of the bravest starling can begin to eat, if it is distracted by importunate sounds, bright light or the smooth flashing of shiny objects.
It is these techniques used to scare away starlings from the sweet cherry, as with single plantings of fruit trees, and in large gardens. The simplest in performance and available options are:
- Hanging in the crown rustling or rustling objects, for example, household bags, rags of packaging mica or film;
- freely fixed, moving objects of reflective, shiny, bright materials, for example, fragments of New Year’s tinsel, unnecessary computer disks, voluminous lumps of food foil hung between branches;
- homemade turntables and ratchets, made according to the principle of children’s toys, but have a persistent and frightening effect on birds.
These methods are good in that they help, how to protect the cherry from the starlings, and refuse to spend additional money on expensive devices and devices.
However, experienced gardeners know that birds adapt to the most intricate ways of scaring over time, so for a better effect it is better to combine several techniques and from time to time to change the location of birds frightening objects.
How to protect the cherry from the starlings with the help of shelters?
Another common method of protection is a shelter for the crown, which would not interfere with penetration of the sun, air and moisture, but it did not give the birds to sit on branches with juicy berries.
How to protect the cherry from this bird method? More recently, such an event is hardly feasible, but today trade offers a lot of interesting and fairly affordable options:
- Non-woven material of low density, for example, used for sheltering growing crops, does not disturb the breathing of plants, completely misses rain and irrigation moisture and sunlight. A light canvas will not damage the branches, but will turn into a reliable protection from birds for the sweet cherry with a small compact crown.
- On larger trees it is convenient to use special large-mesh grids made of plastic. Crown under such a cover is not damaged, and birds, even sitting on a tree, can not penetrate deep into the branches to where the sweetest berries hang. In addition, the green grid is almost invisible from the side and does not spoil the view of the garden.
Other ways to protect cherry from birds
Summer residents who trust more than home-made crafts, and innovative methods of plant protection, can purchase ultrasonic electronic devices to repel birds.
The devices placed in the garden produce inaudible human vibrations, which the feathered perceive as unambiguous alarm signals. This allows you to scare away birds from the sweet cherry, both in small summer cottages and on mass plantings. The range of action depends on the power and other technical characteristics of the device.
In some cases, gardeners use fragrant herbal infusions based on garlic, hot pepper, citrus peel and other crops with a sharp taste and aroma for birds. The method can not be called reliable, since the first rain wipes off the protection, and in dry weather, natural essential oils quickly disperse.
A detailed video on how to protect the cherry from the birds, will introduce the gardener to all available opportunities. Available material will help you choose the most effective and at the same time accessible method. And the berry preserved from feathered gourds will certainly please the summer resident and members of his family.