To give the site some kind of attractiveness and originality, in landscape design barberry bush is often used. The decorative plant is appreciated for the fact that throughout the year its appearance is constantly changing. This brings a certain variety in landscape compositions.
One of the most spectacular and popular species of shrubs is the barberry of Tunberga (Berberis thunbergii). His homeland is the Far East, where the shrub grows on stony mountain slopes. And since 1864 it is cultivated practically on all territory of Russia.
General characteristics of the barberry varieties of Tunberga
Shrub barberry Tunberga has a large number of various decorative forms and varieties. The most popular of them are:
- Atropurpurea Nana;
- Golden Ring;
- Green Carpet;
This species of barberry, depending on the variety, has green, yellow or purple foliage and arched branches with thin single spines. The flowering period lasts from May to June. Fruits ripen in autumn and often do not fall until the end of winter.
Barberry varieties of Tunberg are rather unpretentious in terms of soil, they perfectly tolerate heat and drought. However, they grow poorly in wetlands and where groundwater is close. Grow this kind of barberry in sunlit places, and some varieties in the penumbra. The bush is easily restored after frosts, but it is desirable to cover the young plants for the winter. One of the advantages of the species is its resistance to fungal diseases.
Typically, the barberry varieties of Tunberg are used in gardens and parks as hedges and curbs for the zoning of the territory, for the creation of decorative groups and in single plantings. This kind of barberry is great for creating a Japanese garden, and is also used to anchor the banks of irrigation systems.
Barbaris Tunberga Atropupurea Nana
Red-leafed variety, dwarfish form of barberry Atropurpura. Main characteristics:
- adult bushes grow up to a height of about 61 cm and a width of not more than 91 cm, the crown is compact, cushion-shaped;
- in the summer, the foliage has a purple color, with the advent of autumn it changes color and becomes bright red;
- in the spring (April-May), barberis Tunberga Atropurpurea Nana is hung with small yellow flowers;
- the fruits are rich red, glossy, ripen in October and remain on the branches even in winter;
- good frost resistance;
- likes a sunny location;
- It is usually used in single plantings, decorative groups, rockeries and for creating curbs.
For planting it is recommended to purchase acclimatized seedlings of Tunberga Atropurpurea Nana, grown in a plastic container along with fertilizers. Because in the process of excavating a seedling from the ground, it is possible to damage the roots, which can adversely affect the further development of the plant.
Barbaris Tunberg Golden Ring
A tall variety with a unique color. Main characteristics:
- in height and width the bush reaches 2-3 m, the crown branched, spreading;
- foliage of dark purple color has a thin yellow-green border, and with the arrival of autumn the leaves become saturated red;
- In the spring (in May), the Tunberga Golden Ring barberry is decorated with small yellow inflorescences;
- fruits coral-red, glossy, ripen in October;
- winter hardiness is high;
- grows well in the sunlit areas, and in the shade the decorative effect of the leaf disappears;
- is perfectly suited for landscape compositions, hedges, and also used as a tapeworm, well-cut.
Barbaris Tunberga Golden Ring is prone to defeat barberry aphids. To prevent hives from damage, in the spring it is necessary to carry out preventive spraying of plants with insecticides.
Barbaris Tunberga Aurea
Low-stem yellow-leaved variety of barberry. Main characteristics:
- bushes grow to 0.8 m in height and 1 m in width, the crown is compact, rounded;
- The variety is characterized by yellow foliage with a soft golden hue, with the arrival of autumn it becomes yellowish-orange in color;
- The bloom of the barberry of Tunberga Aurea begins in May, the flowers are golden yellow, collected in neat inflorescences;
- the fruits are rich red, ripen in September and stay on the branches throughout the winter;
- has good frost resistance;
- the foliage of the bush quickly shrinks and falls under the influence of direct sunlight, and in the shade the color of the leaves becomes a green one, so it is recommended to plant it in the penumbra;
- It is used in single plantings and decorative groups, to create curbs and hedges.
Barbaris Tunberga Aurea can be planted near the dark junipers and blue firs. Thanks to the original bright yellow color of the foliage, it will look impressive against this background.
Barbaris Tunberga Bagatelle
Decorative dwarf shrub. Main characteristics:
- bush height and crown diameter maximum 40 cm, dense crown, pillow-shaped;
- in summer the leaves are crimson-red, in autumn they acquire a bright red color;
- barberry Tounberg Bagatelle begins to blossom in May, the flowers are white, sometimes with a yellowish tinge;
- the fruits are rich red, ripen in October and stay on throughout the winter;
- has good winter hardiness;
- variety is photophilous and resistant to drought;
- Used to create miniature borders, the design of alpine hills, balconies and terraces, looks great in all flower gardens.
If this variety is planted in the shade, it may lose its original color of the leaves and become greenish. Therefore, for a more saturated color barberry Tunberga Bagatelle is preferably planted in the sun.
Barbaris Tunberga Green Carpet
A medium-sized Dutch variety. Main characteristics:
- bushes in height grow to 1 m, the diameter of the crown is 1.5 m, the crown is compact, rounded;
- summer foliage is light green, with the arrival of autumn becomes bright red;
- flowering of the barberry of Tunberga Green Carpet begins in May, the flowers are yellow, collected in small brushes;
- fruits glossy, coral, ripen in September;
- good frost resistance;
- recommended location in the sun, does not like shade, hot and drought-resistant;
- the variety looks great in combination with deciduous and coniferous shrubs with a different color range and shape of crowns, it is used in single, group plantings and as a ground cover plant.
Planting the barberry of the Tunberga Green Carpet is recommended in spring or autumn. If the landing is single, then the gap between the bushes should be at least 1.5 m. And when creating a hedge, it is necessary to excavate the trench and arrange the plants for 2 bush per 1 running. m.
Barbaris Tunberga Kobold
Low-grown, thick-stemmed variety. Main characteristics:
- the height of the bush and the diameter of the crown do not exceed 50 cm, the crown is cushion-shaped, compact;
- in the summer, foliage is dark green, with the advent of autumn turns into golden yellow or bright red;
- the bloom of the barberry of Tunberga Kobold begins in May, the yellow flowers are collected in neat inflorescences;
- fruits glossy, pink or red, ripen in September;
- good winter hardiness;
- light-loving, does not like a shadow;
- It is used in group plantings, garden and park woody and shrub compositions, for creating curbs and decorating alpine hills, it is well prone to cutting and pruning.
In the second year after planting, the barberry of Tunberg Kobold is recommended to be fed with nitrogen fertilizers. Subsequent feeding takes place every 3-4 years.
With the help of barberry bushes you can create interesting and unique landscape compositions. A large number of different varieties of barberry Tounberg allows you to choose the right foliage color and the required height. And simple farming equipment makes it possible to easily and with pleasure take care of the bush.
The use of Tunberga barberry in landscape design – video
- 1 General characteristics of the barberry varieties of Tunberga
- 2 Barbaris Tunberga Atropupurea Nana
- 3 Barbaris Tunberg Golden Ring
- 4 Barbaris Tunberga Aurea
- 5 Barbaris Tunberga Bagatelle
- 6 Barbaris Tunberga Green Carpet
- 7 Barbaris Tunberga Kobold