Among the garden crops, unpretentious herbaceous plants occupy a special place – once planting such flowers on the plot, you can admire them for many years. The goldenrod is also an exception. In addition to the beautiful and bright flowering, it grows rapidly and multiplies itself quickly, besides it also has healing properties.
Scented inflorescences are widely used in folk medicine not only to treat humans, but also animals, for example, in gastric diseases, the herb has an astringent effect.
What does a plant look like?
Belongs to the goldenrod to the family of astroves and grows a bush. Shoots are often high and single, very few branches. They have a fairly strong structure and are covered with a certain similarity of the bark of a saturated green or reddish color. The leaves are elongated, along the edge of the leaf plate there may be excavations. It is noteworthy that the upper leaves are smaller than those growing in the lower part of the stem. Blossoms perennial beautiful lemon-yellow inflorescences, from the end of spring and until the fall.
The rhizome of the goldenrod goes deep into the soil, securely anchoring on the site, besides, it multiplies rapidly by self-seeding and expands its holdings, which should be taken into account when planting the grass. It is better to take the plant to a separate site, where it will not jam the rest of the flowers.
Types of goldenrod
Hybrid goldenrod is one of the most favorite species among florists for its luxurious leaves and flowers. Breeders created many varieties of this perennial, differing in the size of bushes, timing and forms of flowering. Among them, it is worth noting such hybrids:
- Dzintra. It differs in small growth (the height of the bush does not exceed 60 cm) and spectacular but short flowering – it occurs in the middle of summer and lasts no more than 1.5 months. Inflorescences collected in the form of umbrellas and painted in golden color.
- Golden Dwof. Also a low bush, but with a later, August, flowering. Inflorescences very chic, reach almost 20 cm in length, with a shade of saffron.
- Perkeo. The compact early variety blooms in early July, the bloom lasts just over a month, the inflorescence is narrow brushes. The bush grows in the form of a cone, the shoots are strongly licked.
- Strakhlenkron. The height of the bush is 60 cm, the stems are densely covered with foliage, blooms golden golden spangles at the end of summer.
- Goldthann. Tall (up to 2 m) variety, shoots are very strong, with blue-green leaves. Inflorescences yellow-orange, bloom late, in the second decade of September.