The most difficult stage in preparing cabbage rolls is to separate the cabbage leaves from the head so that they do not break, but they are not too soft. Cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave is softened enough so that it can wrap the filling, but it remains elastic. Unlike the standard method using a pot of boiling water, the microwave will completely bake the leaves and retain their strength.
The recipe for softening cabbage in the microwave oven
The way how to soften cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave is much easier than the standard method with boiling water. In the presence of a microwave oven, there is no need to specifically select soft varieties, heat a large container with water and try to withstand the right time so that the leaves do not scald.
You can even soften the young cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave oven. In boiling water, its leaves quickly boil and ripen, while they wrap minced meat, in contrast to the more modern way.
To prepare cabbage rolls, a cabbage weighing 1.5-2 kg is suitable. It can be put directly into the oven or wrapped in food film.
- Before you can cook cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave oven, it must be cleaned. Cobs can be shortened, and the upper leaves are removed until they appear clean and undamaged. The remains can be thrown away – they will not be needed for cabbage rolls.
- At the base of the cabbage stump, incisions are made with a long knife, separating the leaves. The cabbage leaves are not necessary to disassemble – cabbage leaves for cabbage rolls in a microwave will soften and will be easily separated. The knife is deepened to the maximum, trying not to damage the cabbage.
- Kochan is sent to the oven for 8-10 minutes and turns it on for maximum power. It can be additionally wrapped in a plastic bag or food film-the leaves will lose less moisture when processed at high temperatures.
- How many minutes cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave oven will be prepared, depends on its size and the number of leaves. After 8-10 minutes, the head is taken out of the oven and separated from it by surface leaves, which had time to soften. Those who firmly hold on to the stump, leave.
- Next cabbage should be put back in the microwave for 5-8 minutes. After that, you can remove the next layer of leaves, which soften under the influence of high temperature. All leaves should not be removed – the smallest of them will not work for cabbage leaves. They can be left and added to another dish (cook borsch or stewed cabbage).
- Hard leaves can remain on the leaves. They can be trimmed neatly with a knife, keeping it parallel to the surface of the table. It is important not to damage the integrity of the sheet, otherwise such a dove will fall apart.
Hot cabbage after getting out of the microwave is immediately to pass cold water. So the leaves are easier to separate from the stump, and in them you can immediately wrap minced meat.
Prepare cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave is much easier than in a pot of boiling water. The leaves soften, but remain firm and elastic. In the prepared dish, their taste will be felt, but it will not interrupt the taste of minced meat. In addition, this way of preparing cabbage saves considerable time. While the head of cabbage is languishing in the microwave oven, you can quickly fill the first leaves with minced meat.
Another cabbage recipe for cabbage rolls
The easiest way to put cabbage in a microwave oven for 10 minutes and do not cover. However, many housewives prefer to use a sleeve for baking or to wrap the head in a plastic bag or food film. Thus, moisture does not evaporate, but remains in the leaves. They are baked more evenly and become soft even in the center.
Cabbage cabbage in a sleeve or film can also be prepared in several stages, but it is easier to place it for 10-15 minutes at a lower temperature. After that, it is dipped in foil in cold water, and when it cools down a little – begin to analyze the leaves. All streaks are removed with a sharp knife, so that they do not spoil the taste of the prepared dish. However, instead, the leaves can be gently hammered off, while it is important not to damage them.
How to choose a cabbage?
If you choose cabbage for cabbage rolls and cook it in boiling water, you need to know a few subtleties. The shape, size, color of the leaves, and also the structure of the vegetable matter. In a microwave oven, you can cook any cabbage so that it is convenient to wrap minced meat. However, if you follow the advice of experienced housewives, it will be even easier to cook cabbage:
- head should not have a round, but an elongated shape – with such cabbage leaves are much more easily separated;
- cabbage should have large sheets – if they are small, they will be difficult to wrap minced meat, and the cooking process will take a long time;
- leaves should be light (white with a greenish tint), without black spots, tears and lesions, signs of fungus or mold;
- separate leaves should be dense, thick and elastic, otherwise they will quickly tear, and the filling in them can not be wrapped;
- withering cabbage is not good, it can be stitched with meat, and for cabbage rolls to get another head.
Cabbage leaves can be softened not only in boiling water or in a microwave oven. Cold has a similar effect.
To start, you need to freeze the whole head, and then get it out of the freezer and thaw at room temperature. However, after processing cabbage can be used only to prepare cabbage rolls and can not be stored even in frozen form.
Prepare cabbage for cabbage rolls in a microwave for softening – this is the easiest way. Even a beginner mistress will be able to cope with the preparation of the dish according to this recipe. The leaves are soft and elastic, they keep the shape well and do not let the cabbage rolls fall apart.